Wednesday, June 2, 2010

All the empowered ladies

I have to admit that Beyonce's hit 'Sinlge Ladies' has a catchy beat and I can understand why it has become so popular. What I can not understand is how Beyonce is still heralded as a modern symbol for female empowerment. I've had issues with the lyrics of the song for a while but when I came across this article (http://www.thestar.com/living/article/575705), the results made me rage so much I could not help but write a blog about it.
Trish Crawford writes "Single Ladies" has gained widespread popularity for its catchy hook and theme of female empowerment,with critics comparing the song to Aretha Franklin's "Respect" or Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive".
Theme of female empowerment? Are you fucking kidding me? It honestly gets worse. Quoting sing lady Ann Grannan - this is "a song of empowerment. `He didn't give her a ring, it's too late, she's out of there.' Everybody likes those songs of respect, like Aretha Franklin's `Respect' and Gloria Gaynor's `I Will Survive.'

So what I would like to know is how the line "If you liked it then you should have out a ring on it" is in any way empowering? Are the females supposed to be the "it" in this empowering line? If a man wishes to "keep" his female companion does he have to "put a ring on it"?

Besides this "empowering" catchy hook the lyrics of 'Single Ladies" still have a few doozies left over. This next verse in particular is by far my favourite. It really makes me feel like as a woman, I am capable of being independent and breaking the shackles of my male oppressors. it goes something liek this:
'Pull me into your arms
Say I’m the one you own
If you don’t, you’ll be alone
And like a ghost I’ll be gone.'

Isn't it just so romantic (and don't forget empowering!) when your partner tells you that you are the one he owns?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Beyonce sure thinks so,

Love Sally.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I have exactly this problem with the song as well. (Though I admit I dance like crazy whenever it plays...)

    ReplyDelete